8.28.2006

I was at work today. We have a newer girl(she's more like a woman, I guess) at work. She is the most dim witted person I have ever met (save my grandfather, but he's practically senile) without having any mental deficiencies (that we know of).
My boss is extremely annoyed with her. He wants to transfer her to another branch. Apparently she's been working there for 20 years, yet she has to ask me all sorts of questions about how to do her job, and I've only been working there for a month and a half.

Sometimes I wonder about intelligence. I have been told by certain people that I am smarter than certain adults. Is that true? Who can tell? IQ tests don't do shit. They measure one type of "smartness". They measure one's aptness, ability to understand and analyze certain select concepts. The don't measure street smarts. They don't measure charisma or manipulative skills. They can't measure anything having to do with people smarts.

At my school, I am in the International Baccalaureate program. It's about the best advanced program you can be in in my school board. There are two, wait, scratch that, a few types of people in the program.

The first are the driven kids. I don't mean to racially profile, but a lot of these kinds of kids are Asian, Indian or of other ethnicities than Caucasian. They aren't really smart. I do better than they do on the standardized tests. BUT, they work their asses off to get 90's. They study constantly, do all their homework even if they have to stay up all night (and it IS only homework), and they make sure that they put everything into all their projects and not procrastinate.
These kids do well in school. On the street, they would die. If they were let out of their little bubble they would suffocate. They are very nice though (but often called nerds). But on an IQ test, they would measure about average, or a little bit above.
The second type of kid are the popular kids who are made to go into the program by there parents. They aren't smart enough to be in the program, and they have no work drive/ethic. They ride on their social skills. They are popular, funny, can carry on an average conversation. They will get through life with their people skills, and little else. They are the ones who can sweet talk the driven kids into making study notes for them.
On an IQ test, they would crash and burn, because IQ tests can't measure people skills.

And then, there is the final group, of which I am a member. The smart slacker/closet intellectual group. We get by with our natural smarts. We never do our homework, we are extreme procrastinators, and we don't care about school enough, because we are bored of it. We love to read, fiction, fantasy, philosophy, anything stimulating, but we cannot focus at all into school work. We do best on the standardized tests, like IQ tests, but when people look at our grades, we look like we are barely mediocre. Our curse is that we have no drive, and that we cannot ever do any work. We think to much for our own good. We are too lazy to succeed in life, though we have the mental ability to do so. We just don't care. ( I'm not trying to make myself look smart here, My social skills lack, and I can't do work to save my life. I am jealous of the other two groups).

My point is that IQ tests cannot measure the entirety of someone's mental talents/abilities, or measure how successful someone will do in life. I will probably end up in some crappy job, even if I get a university degree, while the driven kids will go on to be doctors, and make a shitload of money, and the popular kids will become politicians and lawyers and earn a shitload of money as well. I will probably be still in post-secondary edu long after the other two groups have left, still trying to decide what pointless career I want to have in life . I am doomed.

We are all gifted in our own way, and there is no test or evaluations to completely measure our abilities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home